We’re committed to supporting customers facing financial hardship. Financial hardship involves an inability of the customer to pay a debt, rather than an unwillingness to do so. Financial hardship may arise from a variety of situations and may be for a limited duration or long term.
For more information about the financial hardship provisions under the General Insurance Code of Practice, click the link Code and see Part 10 (Financial Hardship).
How we can support you
If you’re having trouble paying a financial obligation to us, call AIG’s Customer Care team on 1300 295 016 or send an email to [email protected] to talk about your situation. They’ll work out a plan with you, and may be able to assist by:
- offering installment payments, put recovery action on hold, deduct an excess etc.
The support that is provided does not include support with paying the premiums under an insurance policy we have issued.
Fast tracking of urgent claims
If an event, such as a natural disaster, has meant you have to make a claim under your policy and resulted in you being in urgent financial need of benefits under that policy, please let us know. We might be able to speed up our assessment to give you a decision on your claim or pay an advance amount to assist ease your financial need.
Access to other information and support
The National Debt Helpline provides confidential financial counselling resources that can provide advice to Australians in every state and territory: National Debt Helpline 1800 007 007.
Contacting AIG for support
AIG has several ways they can help you. You can read about it here AIG Customer Care or you can phone 1300 295 016 or send an email to [email protected]. They will provide you with a form to apply for financial support and help you through the application process. AIG can also help refer you to external services such as community support and financial counselling services.
If you require a translator please contact us or AIG for access to the Translating and Interpreting Service through the Australian government.
If you have a hearing or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS) by calling the numbers below, or go to the National Relay Service website for other access options.
Voice Relay number: 1300 555 727
TTY number: 133 677
Dispute Resolution / Complaints
MECON is committed to meeting and exceeding our clients’ expectations whenever possible and would like to know if your expectations haven’t been met. You are entitled to make a complaint about any aspect of your relationship with MECON including the conduct of its agents. We manage complaints according to the General Insurance Code of Practice and ASIC’s regulations. MECON will attempt in good faith to resolve any complaint/dispute in a fair, transparent and timely manner.
Click here to read our complaints process.
Under the General Insurance Code of Practice, we are committed to promoting, reviewing and improving the Code.
Promoting the Code
183. The Insurance Council of Australia is responsible for promoting the Code to customers and to industry participants that have not yet adopted the Code.
184. The Insurance Council of Australia will work with the Code Governance Committee, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission, relevant regulators and other stakeholders to encourage all general insurers and other industry participants conducting business in Australia to adopt the Code.
185. We will work with the Insurance Council of Australia to promote and champion the Code.
186. We will:
- provide information about the Code and the Code Governance Committee on our websites, in our product information and in other places we consider it appropriate to do so;
- work with the Insurance Council of Australia to provide general information to help you access insurance products;
- work with the Insurance Council of Australia to initiate programs to promote insurance, financial literacy and the insurance industry; and
- support the Insurance Council of Australia’s initiatives aimed at education on general insurance.
Click here to view the General Insurance Code of Practice in full.